We talk a lot about wrinkles being a sign that we’ve lived and laughed and loved. Ok. They’re also downright frustrating. The changes that occur around the mouth often go unnoticed for some time. Once we see them, they become prominent concerns. Aging around the mouth, like that which occurs around the eyes, can change the way we are perceived. Downturned corners lead to marionette lines that continue to deepen over time. At the same time, the lips may be thinning into more of a straight line, creating an unfriendly or angry appearance. Med Spas like our Austin facilities have multiple ways of addressing these concerns. We’ll discuss them here.
Signs of Aging Around the Mouth
Wrinkles around the mouth are generally referred to as perioral creases. However, there are specific subtypes that may all occur to some degree. These include:
- Laugh lines. At first, smile lines appear at the sides of the mouth when we laugh or smile. As the skin loses firmness, they may remain at all times.
- Marionette lines. These are the creases that start at the outer edge of the lower lip and travel downward toward the chin.
- Lipstick lines are the vertical lines that can form all around the outer edges of the upper and lower lips. Lines may also develop in the fleshy part of the lip.
Rejuvenating the Skin Around the Mouth
There are several treatments that can help support aging skin around the lips and mouth area. Regardless of how severe your perioral wrinkles are, there is a treatment that is ideal for you. Even those who don’t yet see these lines can benefit from care that can slow their onset. Some of our common wrinkle treatments include:
- Chemical peels. These treatments accelerate the sloughing off of dead and damaged skin cells. Chemical peels are gentle enough to have done monthly.
- Dermaplaning. This innovative treatment resembles a straight-razor shave. However, it’s purpose is not to remove hair so much as to exfoliate the upper layer of skin. Dermaplaning is a comfortable treatment that results in increased smoothness and radiance.
- Microneedling. Designed to induce collagen production, microneedling can address multiple concerns simultaneously and can also be performed relatively frequently depending on your goals.
- Laser skin rejuvenation uses intense rays of light to affect superficial layers of the skin. As a result, tissue regeneration speeds up and the skin appears smoother, firmer, and brighter.
- Botox. Injections of this neuromodulator relax facial muscles to restore smooth, youthful looking skin. Around the mouth, Botox has been used to raise downturned corners, smooth smile lines, and improve the shape of the upper lip.
- Dermal fillers. This is the treatment that is best known for treating the lip area. Fillers insert substances that plump the skin with increased volume. Their smooth consistency retains softness while erasing fine lines, marionette lines, and other concerns.
Now you see them, now you don’t! Contact us in Northwest Hills or Westlake today to schedule your lip treatment at The Med Spa in Austin.